Fundamentals of Web Development
Article by Jessica Alex
Web development is the term used to cover a whole range of activities including web content development, web server configuration, server side coding, client side coding and web designing for putting up on the Intranet. Please know this article is confined to discussing the fundamentals of web development and does not constitute a step-by-step tutorial for creating and/or developing a website.
* The first step is to obtain a domain name that you wish to provide for your website. A domain name will entail paying an annual registration fee.
* Next, you will have to select a web host and sign up for an account. A web host may be described as a company that has several computers connected to the Internet. When you eventually position your web pages on their computers, all Internet users throughout the world will be able to view the pages.
* The third step is the crucial task of designing the web pages. One uncomplicated way to design a website is to use a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web editor. Such editors will enable you to design your site visually, without having to needlessly bother about the technical details. There are also several other web design software available. But if you really need a professional looking website, you can hire a qualified web designer for this purpose. When designing a website, you must identify your target audience, create relevant content, provide easy navigation, incorporate graphics etc.
* Your job does not end with creating the website but you will have test your web pages in some major browsers ( all of them come free) like different versions of Internet Explorer, the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome. One way to make your website work in future versions of the web browsers is to ensure your web pages’ code validate as correct. There are enough details available on the Internet about HTML and CSS validation.
* If you plan selling products/services, you will have to provide detailed information to facilitate accepting credit cards and add an Order Form along with ‘Buy Now’ button using PayPal or any other payment gateway. If you need advertisers for your website, you can find a list of advertisers on Affiliate Programs: Free Sponsors and Advertisers. These companies are on the constant lookout for new web publishers to display their advertisements.
* Creating and developing a website is pointless unless you are able to draw traffic to your site. For this, you will have to create SEO (Search Engine Optimization) content and try to get top search engine rankings.
* Generally speaking, if your site is already linked to by other websites, you may not even be required to submit it to these search engines. They will probably find it themselves by following the links on those websites. Apart from submitting your site to the search engines, you can also consider promoting your site in other ways.
Web development could range from the design and development of a simple web page that only has plain text to the most advanced and complex electronic businesses, web-based applications or social networking services.
Web design and development is a vast area that covers Web design (graphic design, XHTML, CSS, usability and semantics), programming, server administration, content management, marketing, testing and deployment and possibly server administration.
Professional Web developers possess the required skills and adequate knowledge in web and graphic designing, copywriting, search engine optimization, information architecture and other IT development factors.
About the Author
Jessica Alex is a SEO copywriter for web designing uae, Web design uae and web development Saudi Arabia. For more information visit: http://www.stimuluswebdesign.com/